Salzgitter Mannesmann Precision GmbH, the new European market leader in non-welded and welded precision tubing, was created following the acquisition of Vallourec Précision Etirage (VPE) France by Salzgitter AG.
The Knowledge Management Service Department of Salzgitter Mannesmann Précision Etirage (SMPE), the French subsidiary, launched an initiative to implement an ECM platform to manage information. In the past, information had been managed from within a Lotus Notes environment, but the system required much IT involvement to develop the necessary applications which were difficult to modify due to their complex nature. There were also huge cost implications for resourcing the expertise necessary to develop and maintain the applications. The need for a replacement system was identified.
SMPE selected Cincom ECM following a review of six competitive solutions. SMPE was impressed with the speed and ease with which Cincom ECM could be customised to address specific document approval and workflow scenarios. Cincom ECM is now used by multiple departments including HR, Purchasing, R&D and Quality, for a variety of applications, for example:
- HR: notes and memos are posted to a dedicated portal, accessed by all employees
- Contracts management: the workflow sends an email notification that flags contract renewal dates and an additional workflow facilitates renewal
- IT within the Helpdesk function: tracks all issues that have been resolved, thereby building a knowledge bank for future reference
“Cincom ECM has been selected for its ease of use and speed of deployment, ultimately improving our autonomy. We were impressed by the business knowledge demonstrated by the Cincom team and their ability to forecast and address our future requirements.” Caroline Witmer, SMP Knowledge Sharing Manager.
- Source a product that is effective in multiple departments and cost-effective to expand
- Document/information retrieval was very difficult and slow
- Heavy reliance on IT with highly complex applications: costly to modify and maintain
- Low user adoption of content management and limited collaboration due to disparate complex applications
- Cincom ECM expansion to six departments, without added professional service fees
- Embedded highly advanced search engine enables simple and instant document retrieval
- Business-focused applications can be developed easily using flexible Open Source configurations, without IT involvement
- High adoption rates (300+ users) driven by embedded personalised portal pages, allowing filtered views based on user profile. The shared portal pages provide quick and easy access to key documents stored within the ECM system