Any user with write access can enter new documents into the system. It is possible to upload any file type. If the file is recognised by the indexing engine as a text document, it will be indexed in full text.
Cincom ECM can import documents in different ways:
- Via configurable forms
- Directly from the Web interface for simple upload
- From third-party desktop applications (eg word processing, PDF forms, Outlook e-mail)
- Via Windows Explorer simply by dropping the document into a specific directory (WebDAV technology)
- Through an import/export agent for mass import
- By scanning paper documents
All files can be integrated into Cincom ECM. The file formats supporting full-text indexing are MS Office, Open Office, PDF, Text, RTF and HTML.
Document Types and Dynamic Forms
Cincom ECM enables the creation of forms depending on the type of document, user and status of the document. It is possible to define fields such as: text, rich text, radio button, lists, dates, etc. A field can be made mandatory.
Specific types of documents can be associated with any workspace or folder.
The captured data can be controlled by internal or external lists (access via SQL queries to a third database). It is possible to implement controls, automatic input and verification by using custom scripts.
Automatic Extraction of Metadata Properties
An automatic extraction function associates properties to the document from:
- Data contained in the properties or fields defined in Microsoft Office documents (Word and Excel)
- IPTC metadata format (International Press Telecommunication Council) and EXIF (Exchangeable Image File) image files
- Data contained in e-mail fields (To, CC, ICC, From, Subject, follow-up flags, Importance, Received, Sent)